02 April 2009

TIART -- Ode to My Running Shoes

I'm running the Ashland (VA) 10K Railroad Run this weekend. Should be fun -- relatively flat course, limited to 750 runners/walkers, and I'm running with my pastor who wants to break 50:00 and set a PR. It's called the Railroad Run because most of the race is run next to the tracks that run through town -- last year at least 2 trains went through while we were running.

Read the longer post/review here. The Runners Lounge's Take It and Run Thursday topic is our running shoes -- why do we like them, describing them using the same number of words as the dollars we used to buy them -- that gives me 71.95 words, plus shipping.
Etonic Jepara SC -- they were relatively inexpensive online; they have great cushioning in both the heel and the forefoot; unlike every other brand I've tried (Brooks and New Balance), I can get 700 miles out of a single pair; and they fit, even my wide feet.

The updated version for 2008, Jepara 2 SC, are not as well cushioned and they are narrower in the toe box. Bring back the old ones!
Seventy-two words.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

It's great when you can find a pair of runners on sale for a great price! When I do, I feel like I discovered a gold mine!

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Wow, you can get 700 miles? I usually start tearing up the soles pretty badly after only 200!

And while sometimes the insoles still have life in them, I just don't want to risk it. Learned my lesson after one rather painful 16.3 mile race!

Bob A said...

I do and while not quite a clydesdale, I'm pretty close to being what Runner's World and others call a heavier runner. I wore 2 or 3 pair of Brooks GTS before finding the Etonics. I didn't like them because they felt very firm after 200-250 miles and never lasted more than 450 miles. (I judge wear by how my knees feel.)