30 April 2009

Bum-MER!

After yesterday's run, my right hamstring was a little sore. Got up this morning -- hamstring felt better and it was 53° (way better than the 60°+ of the last several days), so I headed out to see what might happen. I chose a route that kept me within a mile and a half of home for the first 3 miles in case my hamstring acted up but also gave me the option of going 7+ if everything was OK.

Mile 1: no problem, in fact most of the soreness went away.

Mile 2: no problem

Mile 3: no problem until the 2.6 mile point. I was going up a slight hill (not the first one) and all of a sudden -- BAM! -- I got spiced by Emeril!



Oh, wait, no, I was running, not watching Food Network. ...all of a sudden -- BAM! -- my hamstring started seizing up. I tried slowing down but it did no good. So, I stopped and gently stretched my hamstring. It eased off and I tried running gently -- after just a few strides, it seized up again. Walked a bit and tried again. It's odd -- I could run a few strides and then swinging my right leg forward would be painful. Walking, on the other hand, cause only very mild soreness.

So, I walked the rest of the 1 mile home (OK, a few jogging strides here and there).

I am bummed but I'm going to lay off running for a couple of days. If my leg feels OK Saturday morning, I may try a couple of miles (yeah, I know, I should just forget it ... until at least Sunday). Seriously, I am bummed. Looks like my early mornings (and evenings) will be spent with ice on my hamstring.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

5 comments:

david said...

Bummer is right....You might want to try a foam roller... it has become my best friend.

Andrew(ajh) said...

Hey Bob, thanks for checking in to my blog, I love getting new visitors leaving comments.

Hope the hamstring recovers quickly - as you may have read I too am recovering from an injury at the moment.

That study on "not sitting" is a worry for us office workers isn't it!

der5er said...

Good luck with your recovery!

Were you planning to run the Carytown 10k or the James River Scramble? If so, I hope you can recover quick!

Michelle said...

Yikes!!!

Did you get a run in this weekend? LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!

I am having shin problem now!!!! What else is new?

Bob A said...

der5er: I'm not doing either but do have the first training run of the Patrick Henry half training team on that Saturday (I'm helping to coach) so I do hope I can recover by then.

Michelle: Not this weekend, but I'm optimistic about tomorrow (Monday). The hamstring feels pretty good. Sorry 'bout your shin. That's no fun!