06 January 2009

My Review of Etonic Jepara Running Shoes (For Men)

A couple of years ago, one of the Richmond running stores, Runner Bill's Sports, recommended I try the Etonic Jepara SC. At that time, I had used about 3 pair of Brooks Adrenaline ASR's and was going through them very quickly (250-300 miles). They always felt great for the first few miles but then the cushioning compacted or something and they felt hard and stiff. I found that the Jepara SC was heavier but had GREAT cushioning in both the heel and forefoot. Over the next couple of years, I used 4 pair and got 700+ miles out of them. Then, Etonic changed the shoe and replaced the Jepara SC with the Jepara 2 SC. Bad decision. The new shoe feels longer, stiffer, and seems to have less cushioning. But, the original Jepara SC seemed not to be available anywhere in my size. Over Christmas, however, I looked again and found them in my size at Sierra Trading Post for about $56.00 -- I snatched up 2 pair. I would buy more but am concerned that they would deteriorate some just sitting on the shelf. Sierra Trading Post asked me to write a review (as I'm sure they ask all their customers) and I did. That review is below with some slight editing. By the way, my one purchasing experience with Sierra Trading was an excellent experience -- they delivered exactly what I ordered and did so on time and with no hassle. They even included a return shipping label just in case:

Originally submitted at Sierra Trading Post

Closeouts . Rated best shoe for motion stabilizing by the Running Network, Etonic's Jepara running shoe helps keep the foot on a neutral plane while maintaining ample cushioning and breathability as you transition from heel strike to toe off. Perfect for mild over-pronators Microfiber and air...


Etonic Jepara SC (NOT J2SC)

By AllenKenya from Richmond, VA on 1/6/2009

 

4out of 5

Sizing: Feels half size too small

Width: Feels true to width

Pros: Absorbs Shock, Stable, Comfortable, Durable

Cons: Need better arch support, Slightly heavy

Best Uses: Endurance Training, Pavement, Running

Describe Yourself: Competitive Athlete (Well...not exactly but the next choice down was casual/recreational runner -- I'm somewhere in between -- maybe a competitive running enthusiast.)

Arch Type: Low Arch

I buy a full size longer and 1 width narrower than my street shoes (my street shoes are Rockport ProWalkers and are 11EE; I buy Jepara SC in 12D). Great cushioning in heel and forefoot. Durable -- I get 700 miles out of these versus 300-400 out of other brands, even though I'm at the break point between being a "normal" and "heavy" runner (180#). I have flat feet and think the Jepara SCs need a bit more arch support. The Jepara SC is far superior to the new Jepara 2 SC in both fit and comfort. A tad heavier than other shoes but cushioning and durability make it worth the weight.

Etonic Jepara SC (men's)

thumbnail

Tags: Picture of Product

(legalese)

No comments: