Saturday, April 25, 2009

Exercise and Don't Sit

So, maybe this is one reason I'm having trouble losing the extra 10+/- pounds I'm carrying. The study, reported on Runner's World's web site, doesn't mention weight, just mortality but ...

It's Not Enough To Exercise; You Need To Stop Sitting Too
We first mentioned the new science of inactivity physiology just a month or two ago. Now a major research center has produced a study giving a strong boost to inactivity physiology. They did this by studying mortality rates among more than 17,000 Canadians for an average of 12 years. The results showed a linear relationship between sitting time and mortality rates. This was true for exercisers as well as non-exercisers. Conclusion: "In addition to the promotion of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity and a healthy weight, physicians should discourage sitting for extended periods." Source: Medicine & Science In Sports & Exercise. More
I think I need to get up and walk around more often when I'm in the office!

I hadn't planned to run today -- I usually take Sunday off after a long Saturday run. But, I woke up early and thought, Why not? So, I left planning to do 4.7 -- basically an out-and-back. But, at the halfway point, I thought, Wait, I'm not training for anything, I have some time, and Linda (my wife) is unlikely to need to find me. Let's do something different and unplanned. So, I turned right where I had planned to turn left. Ended up doing 5.7 miles. I really had intended to take it easy at about 8:30-8:45 mpm. But, when I figured out my pace, it was 8:09. Maybe I'm still reaping the benfits of running last week at 5500' above sea level.

Run well, y'all -- and sit less,
Bob
Post a Comment