25 March 2009

Running Fast Feels Good -- Final Tempo Run

Fast is a relative term, but whether fast is 5:00 mpm or 12:00 mpm, it actually feels good just to occasionally let loose and run fast over a distance. Today was my last tempo run before the Ukrop's 10K on Saturday. Another person from our running group ran with me -- it was good to have company -- thanks, Drew. It was hard but just felt good -- especially when I finished (LOL). I actually ran negative splits:

1.26 mi x 11:22  (warm up)
1.00 mi x 07:21
1.00 mi x 07:17
1.00 mi x 06:58
1.74 mi x 13:03  (cool down)

The third fast mile (6:58) was a real shocker when I hit the lap button on my watch. I really thought I had slowed down and I had to run in place for a few seconds at an intersection to wait for a car to pass.

If you haven't tried speed work, give it a shot -- whatever is fast for you.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

5 comments:

Mark said...

Great times, Bob! Watch out Ukrop!

Anonymous said...

Great splits...you are going to smoke this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Can't wait to read the race report!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i totally agree that speed is relative -- love it! Good luck saturday!

Nancy said...

NICE!! Great work, Bob.