05 July 2008

Mountain Runs/Hikes, Long Run, and Cats on a Treadmill

A catch-up post. Sorry for the length.


I had a one-week reprieve from the humidity and heat of Richmond. Spent a great vacation week in Highlands, NC. The temperature when I ran in the mornings was 49-54° and the humidity was around 54%. It was wonderful. The mountain roads were not conducive to running as they were narrow, had many blind curves, and no verges on which to escape the traffic, so I drove into town and ran Highlands' sidewalks -- still was able to do a 6-miler and two 5-milers, one of which included hill repeats. It was great!

In addition, we took in the waterfalls that are in the area. The best were Glen Falls -- the elevation change was 700'+/-. The literature said it was a 1.4 mile trail, each way, but I think it had to be farther. Whitewater Falls were also awesome -- with a 411' drop, they are the highest falls in the US east of the Mississippi River. Anyway, 3 hikes and 3 runs was pretty good.

I don't want to bore you with home slides, but here are a few from the hikes:


Whitewater Falls


Glen Falls, 3rd falls -- Bob and Linda


Glen Falls, 4th falls


Crocodile in the Water! :)


Glen Falls Trail

Today was my long run -- 11.2 miles @ 8:28 mpm. The run itself was hard but the soreness (OK, pain) afterwards is worse. I'm experimenting with Gu's, Shot Bloks, and Gatorade. I had a Gu before running, ate a Shot Blok every 3 miles, and drank 20 oz of Gatorade over the 11 miles. I think it helped but I'm going to try a Shot Blok every 2 miles to see if it's better.

Now, the part you've been waiting for -- Deux chats sur un tapis roulant (Cats on a Treadmill -- at least I think that's what the French says). Merry, who wrote Thursday's post at Cranky Fitness, found this one. Being the good blogger that I am, I stole, ah, referenced her find. This is pretty funny -- much more fun than actually running on a treadmill!



Run well, y'all,
Bob

5 comments:

Viv said...

Bob, the hike scenes look so peaceful!

Coach Mark said...

Very cool blog Bob. Awesome pictures as well. Keep pushing away Bob.

Bob A said...

Thanks for stopping by, Viv and Mark. The Nantahala National Forest was really nice. The trails were not crowded at all, so they really were peaceful.

Thanks for the encouragement, Mark.

Jenny said...

Great photos.
Yes... when I visit America (one day when my kids are using up all my money!!) I will look at all the spectacular and 'normal' things that you have to offer.
And I love the cats video. My son and I laughed out loud.

Ax said...

Wow, it must have been nice to escape the heat. I would love some temps like that, since it is usuallly 90 degrees at 6 am when I head out. Love the pictures. Nothing like that here in Phx.