26 July 2008

Sticky Ideas: 8 x 8 Water


This kind of falls in the interesting things I found while surfing but should have been doing something else category.

One of the persistent bits of common health knowledge is the idea that one should drink 8 8-ounce glasses of water every day in order to be healthy (other iterations of this common knowledge say anywhere from 6-10 glasses or more). Another persistent bit of common knowledge is that caffeinated drinks don't count toward that total since they cause dehydration rather than prevent it.


One of the best books that I've read in a long time is Made to Stick by Chip Heath and Dan Heath. Their blog, though not updated regularly, is a regular stopping point for me.

On 15 July, Dan posted a short bit on the 8 x 8 water idea and pronounced it an urban legend, albeit a very sticky one. He pointed to an article in the online journal Slate that reported on a study debunking the idea (this link downloads/opens a PDF file) from the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, traced the history of the idea, and included a link to a Snopes.com article on the urban legend.

Granted, runners and others who exercise or sweat profusely, need to watch their fluid intake. But, it seems that what we have long taken as absolute truth (8 8-ounce glasses of water per day for everybody) is taken by many to be false -- an urban legend that has persisted for hundreds of years.

Run well, y'all (and hydrate smart),
Bob

7 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

That is a great book indeed.

Marcy said...

I think I'm one of the few who totally does NOT have a prob getting her waters worth LOL. I go through a gallon a day :-X

Thanks for stopping by :-)

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Hi Bob,

Great post! I remembering reading some of this a few months ago, but I like your summary of it and link to the other post. Would you mind if I added it to the Know How section of the Lounge with a link and credit back to you?

Also, you are a winner of our drawing for TIART last week! Not only did it help your run, but you win a prize. When you have a minute, drop me a note with your email address and we will get it mailed off.

Thanks!

Amy
amy@runnerslounge.com

Ax said...

I just heard this not too long ago. Pretty interesting. I also heard or read somewhere that carbonated drinks really don't dehydrate. I don't really drink soda, but good news for people who do, I guess.

Jeff said...

Congrats on your TIART win.

tfh said...

Actually, I was just reading something about this in an old issue of Runners' World...that many of us actually tend toward overhydration. Gonna have to check out that book!

Lily on the Road said...

Good post, I am always back and forth with this topic!

Congrats on being "a winner" with the Lounge....