18 February 2010

How Do You Train?

I'm at the end of my 4th week of no running -- nada. The doc is not sure, yet, if my problem is tendonitis or osteitis. Hopefully x-ray and bone scan will show what's going on. While the symptoms don't seem to be directly correlated to running, he advised me not to run until we find out what's going on. Boy, I do miss being on the road!

In the meantime, I'm giving some thought to how I might change what I do and how I run. I would really like to set a new PR for a 10K (current: 46:19) and break 1:50:00 again on a half marathon (current PR: 1:48:and change) I'm fascinated by the recent reports of new research on the impact of footstrikes (pun fully intended). While I cannot imagine running barefoot on the streets of Nairobi, I can focus on ensuring that I hit more midfoot. Even toying with getting a pair of Vibram Five-Fingers to try.

In the process of reading about these impact studies, I discovered Steve Magness' blog, On and Off the Track. Excellent technical blog about running. I also follow Steve on Twitter (you can also follow me on Twitter). Steve's post last night on Twitter, is very interesting: How do Norway's top XC skiers train? 700hrs/yr 76% easy, 6% medium, 5% high, 4% speed dvlpment, 9% strength training. Hmmm. I wonder if that formula would work with running.

Check out Steve's blog for some really interesting running discussions.

I'd have to do some calculations to determine my running mix. I haven't done much strength training at all and I do plan to change that. What kind of mix do you use when you're training?

Run well, y'all,
Bob

1 comment:

Mark said...

Hope you get back on the roads soon!