01 June 2008

Miscellaneous: Dehydration, Weight Loss

Yesterday was my first run with the local YMCA training group for the Patrick Henry Half Marathon in late August. The group was running 6.1 miles and it was a good run (8:11 mpm pace) -- I enjoyed the miles and the conversations. I met a group of guys who run on Wednesday mornings at 5:30 and they invited me to join them. That should be just the motivation I need to get over my "Wednesday 'Don't-Wanna's'".

After I ran with the group, I headed out for an additional 4 miles (my Runner's World training plan called for a 10 mile long run). Whoa! Summer is here. The first couple of miles of the extra weren't bad but by the time I hit mile 3, I was wiped out. I ended up with a pace of 8:44 mpm for that 4 miles and walked a couple of times.

I think I just hadn't drunk enough water for the weather (75° or so by that time and 80%+ humidity) and probably was low on sodium and electrolytes. Yeah, I know, 75° is not hot for many folks, but it is for me. "Perfect", for me, is 45-55° and I even like running when it's 30-45°. I think I'm going to have to carry something like Gatorade or Powerade for my longer runs for the next few months. I felt drained all day and I've been doing 10-mile runs for a number of months.

Viv at the blog, I'm Not Fit to Run, is sponsoring an Independence Weight Loss Challenge. I need to get rid of 5-10 pounds and thought this might be just the thing to spur me on. If a little virtual competition would help you, check it out. The deadline for sending in your initial weight is today, Sunday, 1 June.



Run well (and hydrated), y'all,
Bob

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate that feeling of being drained after a hot run. I feel like it takes all my energy to just sit still and stare at the walls.

Andrew is getting fit said...

The running laminator has a good article about dehydration this week.

Bob A said...

David -- I know what you mean. We went to see Prince Caspian yesterday afternoon and I felt like it took all my energy just to watch the movie. I had drunk "plenty" after running but still felt this overwhelming urge to drink and was glad to get home.

Bill Carter said...

Hi Bob

It is kind of funny that I'm here in Michigan because I like the hot stuff. I would much rather run in that 75 degree weather. You certainly do have to make sure you stay hydrated though.

Great pace BTW.

Ben G said...

I don't know if you have tried it but I like Accelerade. I read about it in an issue of RW Magazine. It is the 4:1 carbs:protein formula. I drink it before a long run and after. It is very humid here in south Ga but it gets me through the day without the post-run headaches and such that comes from too much heat/humidity.

Bob A said...

Prefan -- I'll have to give Accelerade a try. The carb:protein ratio sounds good. I'm currently using Gatorade and think I like the taste better than Accelerade.

Humidity in Richmond is similar to south Georgia. We have the James River that goes around the south half of the city and about half of its water content must stay in the air during the summer time.