01 May 2008

Running Hard Feels Good

There's something about Wednesdays. It's so hard for me to get out and run on that day. True to form, yesterday, I slept a little later and didn't do my tempo run. This morning, I headed out and decided to pick up the pace. Since I'm not following a particular training plan at the moment, I didn't really have a goal in mind. Most of my runs in the last 3 weeks have seemed very difficult so I didn't really think I would be at peak performance and just planned to run hard and see what happened.

After a nice, easy warm-up mile, the first tempo mile surprised me and I was sure I couldn't keep that pace up. Sure enough, I felt like I slowed a bit and was even more surprised when I was a fraction of a second faster. Mile three of the tempo part was definitely slower, especially since that mile has some hills and actually ends on an uphill. I about fell over when I hit the lap button on my watch and was 20 seconds+ faster than on either of the previous 2 miles. Ending with a couple of slower miles (I was TIRED), it was quite a satisfying run -- nice to have a really good one for a change.
TEMPO LAP TIMES:
1 x 9:07.34
1 x 7:10.85
1 x 7:10.60
1 x 6:50.02
1 x 8:15.23
1.103 x 8:42.22 (7:53.46 mpm pace)

I hope your run today is as satisfying.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Bob,
could you contact me?
My daughter has been living in Goma, DRC for the last 2 years serving in economic development for HEAL AFRICA a hospital for women. She is a former distance runner for the U of Minnesota. She has been told by an orthopedic surgeon she works under he thinks she has a torn meniscus and needs surgery and has recommended she go to Nairobi to have it done. Any guidance for her? She is setting it up now.
Thanks
Joyce
ejoycemc@hotmail.com

Ax said...

Gotta love those surprises!