05 April 2008

Ukrop's Monument Ave 10K, Richmond

The Richmond 10K is history. The temperature at the start was about 61° with a very light mist. Some 31,000 people were registered but a lot of folks didn't show.

I didn't hit my target time but wasn't too far off. Considering the crowd, I'm not bummed. I had hoped for a sub-45:00 but my time was 45:43.18 -- a 7:22 mpm pace. That was enough to finish somewhere in the top 600-700 or so overall (so far, I have only seen the top 500), 32nd out of 830 finishers in my age group (50-54), 9th out of 64 53 year olds.

I'm really proud of my wife. She participated and finished well -- her first race and she finished in 1:20:56, #390 out of 1115 finishers in her age group. After I finished, I wound my way out of the finish area, ran about 2.5 miles of the course to try to catch her wave, then moved to the median (out and back course) to try to find her on the return leg. We walked and finished the last @3 miles together. It's the farthest she's ever run/walked. And, she had to run in a lot more rain than I did.

A huge THANK YOU to our daughter who stood in the mist and rain and cheered us on.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Ukrop's 10K played host to the USA 10k Men's National Championship Race. It was pretty neat to watch these elite runners start the race. As my wave hit mile 1, the leaders passed us on their way to the finish. Abdirahman and Browne were in the lead and it looked like it could be a good finish. Richmond's WTVR online news reported the results this way:

Abdirahman Wins Ukrop's Monument 10K Race


Abdi Abdirahman showed Richmond his strength as a world-class distance runner, winning the 9th annual Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10k in 28:34, about 27 seconds short of record pace, and defending his men's 10k national championship at the same time.

Abdirahman, a Somalia native who now lives in Tucson, AZ, nosed out second-place finisher Dan Browne, from Beaverton, OR. Browne, who was stationed at Fort Lee in 1997 and 2006, finished 4 seconds behind Abdirahman at 28:38. Fasil Bizuneh from Massachusetts finished third at 29:04.

It will be nice not to be tied to a training plan for a couple of weeks. I get to simply run. Then, it will be time to start getting ready for a late August half marathon.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a great time.

Bob A said...

Thanks, David.

Nitmos said...

Way to go. Looks like a solid race! The season is just beginning...

Lily on the Road said...

Oh Congratulations to you BOTH! WOW, sounds like a wonderful run and wonderful day spent with the family!!

Enjoy your "just for a run, run"

Cheers....

Marathoner in Training said...

You both deserve a big congratulations on your race. Looking forward to hearing about more in the future.

Michelle said...

Hi congrats on a great 10K! To your wife too! She rocks just as much as you do!!!
Michelle

Bob A said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Michelle -- my wife rocks way more than I do. She had NEVER run/walked that far before and was a real trooper. She did the 10K for me -- because I encouraged her to do it. For her to do the race and to do it in the rain -- what a gal!

Nancy said...

What a gal, what a pair. You guys did awesome. Nice to make it a family affair. I wish my hub could get back to running.

NICE TIME!! Congrats.

Bill Carter said...

Hi Bob

Congrats on the great time! I agree that it is so cool to see the elites... they truly do run like the wind.