23 February 2008

Who Stole the Air?


One advantage of international travel is that I get to run in some different places. This week, I've been at the Baptist Guest House in Johannesburg (OK, Edenvale), South Africa. A friend told me about a great route that I could run that would be about 5 miles. Well, at about the halfway point on that route, the road goes uphill for 2 straight miles and climbs something like 220 feet. Johannesburg is at 5500' above sea level. Some friend -- thanks, Fred, why are you trying to kill me? And, who took all the air from this place? Oh, yeah, I forgot -- hills make you stronger!

Here's the route.

At least I get to run on grass/dirt for about half the route.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

7 comments:

The Adairs said...

hey bob, do you turn down there at the gas station where the mission has an account? or is if further? what about a woman running that? too dangerous?

Bob A said...

It depends on which route I run. When I do the longer, single loop, I go several blocks past the petrol station to Cunningham Rd. That takes me across to Baker and I turn right on Baker. That takes me past Mugg&Bean, Spar, and News Cafe where I turn right on Harris, follow Harris to the left and into the community where BIMS is located.

Sometimes I do a smaller double loop and turn at Strange & Co.

I don't think it would be a good idea for a woman to run by herself on that route. It's populated but it is Johannesburg. Get James to run with you.

PinkAsphaltMama said...

Bob - found your blog this a.m. (though I should be at work). Glad to see another Richmond runner. Is it just a Richmond thing to say "hills make you stronger"? What abot the Ethyl hill? Does that really make you stronger or just kill you quicker?

Marathoner in Training said...

Sounds like you did quite well with your run, you survived. Air is so overrated, who needs it anyways. Enjoy your trip to Africa.

Lily on the Road said...

glad you are getting your running in while away in South Africa and keeping us up to date. Thank you too for Isaiah 40:30:31 I carried that with me when I ran in Phoenix, my friends daughter is in need of a heart transplant...so that was one of the saying I carried for her...

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are amazing. It is a dream of mine to go to Africa. Now I want to go more.
Congrats on the most beautiful run ever!!

Bob A said...

Pam -- I use the phrase, hills make you stronger just to trick my body into not thinking about the fact that I'm really dying on them. But, I guess after my South Africa "mountain run", I can't say too much bad about hills. That one went from 8 meters to 305 meters above sea level over about a 3.5 mile stretch.