16 January 2008

The Longest Mile

Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine has a running article that got my day started with a laugh: My Longest Mile. I'm definitely not part of the running lunatic fringe that Corrigan describes:
always chiseled and hairless, in the slick running magazines smiling and gliding effortlessly through the miles. They never sweat, never frown, and always run in good weather

None of those phrases describe me. Neither do I have about a hundred words to describe how much I loathe running. But I can relate to the agonies of the first year of running:
Gravity surely exerts more force just on me. I can hear the barometric pressure chuckling as it quickly doubles along only my path. My feet pull away from the ground like sweaty thighs from a hot vinyl car seat. The wind actually blows at me from opposite directions.

It's a good read from an unexpected source.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Sounds familiar, like the little voices in my head when I run!!

Joe said...

Hilarious!! Thanks!!!