15 January 2007

Addicted!

Well, today I feel like I'm a confirmed running addict. I didn't sleep well at all last night -- had weird dreams and kept waking up. So, I decided I could take a day off. Wrong choice! I have been groggy all day long -- not really sleepy-groggy but just couldn't shake the sleep dust. I should have foregone the last 30 minutes of nonsleep-sleep and hit the road.

My running journey has been interesting. Of course, there were the first few weeks when I was just simply out of shape and I had to push through that. Then, I began to lose weight fairly quickly, one of my initial reasons for getting back to running. At that point and for the next year, I really liked the results of running but didn't like running.

I hurt my knee at the one year point (ran too hard, too quickly when I was too heavy and using, as I later decided, wornout shoes) and had to quit until I had a meniscectomy (arthroscopic) at 14 months. During the time when I couldn't run and then while I was building back up, I realized how much I missed running. Once I got back to running, I realized that I really liked running.

The one day last week when I didn't run, I felt groggy. Then today I felt groggy. So, I've moved from like to need! I guess that's what I get after 3.5 years and 3700 miles. If I'm going to be addicted to something, there are a whole lot of things worse than running.

Run well, y'all,
Bob
Richmond, VA

No comments: