Saturday, July 26, 2008

MInd: 2 for 3

After my awful 13.1 mile run last week and then reading all the posts on the Runners' Lounge blog on the Tough Stuff, I made up my mind that I was going to do whatever it took to have a better run today -- scheduled 14.1 miler. So, I tried to hydrate well on Friday, get a decent night's sleep Friday night, focus on having a positive mental outlook, get a mantra, and run smart. It worked:
Hydration on Friday: at least 86 oz of liquids plus fruit
Sleep: 7 hours
Mental: I'm looking forward to this run.
Mantra: Uwe hodari na moyo wa ushujaa (Swahili from Joshua 1:6-9, Be strong and courageous)
Target pace was 8:47 and I ran at 8:49 and stayed with a group of 3 others

I felt very good through 11 miles -- in fact, I was surprised when we hit the 10 mile point. At mile 12, I was having to tell myself more often to be strong and courageous -- I really wanted to walk but decided that I had to run through the half marathon distance. Then, when we got to mile 13, there was only 1 mile remaining and I couldn't quit. I ran the full distance with the exception of the water stops. While I was as physically tired as last week, I felt so much better having gotten through the mental stuff that I don't feel nearly as badly.

So, out of the last 3 longer runs of 11, 13, and 14 miles, my mind has prevailed on the 11 and 14 mile runs. YES!!!

I actually ran 14.92 miles because I ran 0.75 miles to the start of the group run.

I hope your run today is just as good -- mind over body.

Run well, y'all,
Bob
Post a Comment