13 January 2008

Weather and What to Wear While Running

We went to the early worship service at our church today. So, I decided to run after Bible study (about 11:30). My wife also planned to run but was concerned about being cold. AS I advised her about what she might wear, I realized that this is a very individual matter depending on one's tolerance for cold and the level of effort, which determines internal temperatures.

The February '08 issue of Runner's World printed a guide created by a couple of runners from Rhode Island and Ontario (p.65) - I can't find the article online so can't link to it (why doesn't Runner's World at least have the full contents of the magazine available online for subscribers?). It's almost dead-on the way I decide what to wear. I'm very warm-natured and sweat profusely, so the following might not apply to you (to save typing, assume that all items are "tech" cloths unless otherwise noted -- little or no cotton for me):

  • 80°+: I only run around in the shower! (I'm a heat wimp)
  • 50-79°: short-sleeved shirt, shorts, light socks
  • 40-49°: long-sleeved shirt, shorts, gloves, heavier socks on the lower end of the range
  • 32-39°: short-sleeved shirt, polyester/cotton sweatshirt, shorts, gloves
  • 27-31°: long-sleeved shirt, poly/cotton sweatshirt, shorts, wind pants, gloves -- if I'm feeling wimpy, I'll add the stocking cap with the ear flaps turned up
  • 13-26°: short-sleeved shirt under a long-sleeved shirt, poly/cotton sweatshirt, shorts, wind pants, stocking cap w/ear flaps down and tied under my chin (my family "loves" the style), gloves
  • 13°: I don't know as it hasn't gotten that cold in Richmond in the last 2 winters


(BTW and for what it's worth, I really like Balega socks -- Enduro when the temperature is warmer, mid-40's and up, and the gray/black Trail when the temperature is cooler, 40's and lower, or when I'm running 10+ miles.)

Today wasn't that cold (47° and breezy when I went out) so I wore my fluorescent yellow Brooks long-sleeved shirt. My family says nobody can miss seeing me when I wear that shirt but they worry that it might blind somebody and they'll run over me because of it! Not a bad run -- 5.5 miles at 8:10 mpm.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

1 comment:

Joe said...

The Brooks stuff is terrific...I have three of their pieces and love it...and get the same reaction from the fam.

Super article on Kenya...thank you. Many prayers. May believers all "stand in the middle."