03 January 2008

Runner's High


Benjamin Cheever, in Strides, says, "The runner's high is built on a foundation of runner's lows. The joy is often paid for in advance." My run tonight was a case in point. A number of my runs lately have seemed difficult. Tonight, however, was really nice -- I really felt good, even after finishing 8.1 miles at a 7:48.6 mpm pace.

I like running in cool weather and it was 29° when I started and about 24° when I finished. The air was dry unlike most mornings in Richmond. While I like running early in the morning (normally I'm on the road no later than 5:30 am), I generally feel like I run better in the evening -- so, that was a plus. And, this week has been stressful. We have about 205 people in Kenya for whom our organization is responsible -- adult missionaries, their children, and a variety of family members and other guests who were in the country either visiting family or doing volunteer work. And, if you have kept up with international news this week, you know that things have been unusually tense in Kenya with the tribal/political clashes that have been going on for about 4 days (CNN story -- CAUTION: the picture with the article is gruesome). Because of the stress of the week, I think I really needed to run tonight.

So, everything just came together for a runner's high for me tonight. I run for my health, for weight control, for stress relief, to get some "I" (introvert) time but this kind of outing makes running pure fun! I hope you have a runner's high this week.

Run well, y'all,
Bob
Richmond, VA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will pray that the folks in Kenya remain safe.

Topher said...

I'm praying for them, as well. Your post really put some things in perspective for me. Thanks.

Bob A said...

Even though the news is better today, don't stop praying. There are tons of opportunities for our folks to be involved in ministries that can relieve suffering and demonstrate Christ's love.