23 January 2013

Getting Back in Shape

I know people who are absolutely consistent with everything they do. Since, October, my running has taken a nosedive. Much of that is just due to life interfering but a bit of it is just my own inconsistency. About 6 weeks ago, I was in Turkey for a meeting. I had taken my running gear but just hadn't run. About the 4th day of the meeting, we had the late afternoon off and another participant said he was going to run. I asked if I could join him and we took off after about 10 minutes. Great run even though I hadn't run a lick in about 3.5 weeks. When I mentioned that to him, he was amazed and said he didn't think he had ever missed working out. (Boy, that made me feel good! Seriously, I just thought, "Well....")

Anyway, once we got home, I ran a couple of times but just couldn't get into the routine ... rainy mornings, not sleeping great after travelling, our adult kids and others here for Christmas, lots to do, some missing "wanna's". It just didn't happen.

Now that Christmas and New Years are behind us, I'm trying to get back. I had run so little, that I'm trying to take it easy. Only 2.8 miles or so every other day. Even with that, it's more than I've run since October.

Getting back in shape at my age (58+), at this altitude (5700'+), and at my weight (...never mind) just ain't too much fun. But, I'm getting there. My distance isn't going up and my weight isn't going down, yet, but without trying at all, I've already cut some time off. And, I can already run farther before having to walk.

The other thing I haven't done is stay consistent with this blog. Not that you care, probably, but I need it to stay motivated. So, let's see what happens.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are doing a great job with your blog.

I also need to be motivated and I really have to like an activity to keep doing it. Both happen when it's time to cycle! I love bikes!

Bob A said...

I used to ride a bike as a kid and teenager — I didn't have a car, so that was my transportation for many things. But, I haven't ridden in, maybe, decades! I'm still struggling with motivation.