27 August 2009

TIART: Fuel for the Long Run

Runners Lounge is hosting its normal Take It and Run Thursday today. The topic is fuel for the long run. If I'm running 10+ miles, here's what I usually do:
* about 1 hour prior to running, I eat half of a whole grain bagel, toasted and either plain or a bit of peanut butter. I also eat a banana

* about 15 minutes before running, I eat a Gu (I love the Chocolate Outrage) and drink 10-15 ounces of water

* every couple of miles while running, I drink Gatoraid

* at about mile 6-6.5, I eat another Gu
Why? Because it helps me get to the end. Even so, in the heat and humidity of this summer, I still feel pretty wiped out at the end, but I don't tolerate heat well at all (my running group has put me in an elite category of one of the top 3 perspirers in the group).

Run well, y'all,
Bob

2 comments:

No Longer Using said...

i love your sign off "run well, y'all" :) i have also tried to start my runs with a gu-- seems like an easy option. and a banana is a must for me, too. it's such a trial and error process!

Anonymous said...

I love that you're in an elite group for perspiration... We all deserve to be some level of elite, right?

I tried the gel before the run once, it didn't go over for me... but then I don't like gels much anyway so I shouldn't have been surprised at that result!

Thanks for participating in my TiaRT topic!