06 May 2009

Destined to Run? Just Not for Speed

It must have been fate that I would wind up loving to run. This is what was happening in the world of running the day I was born:



Unfortunately, it was not fate that I would be as fast as Roger Bannister -- or have the mental stamina that he had.

Disappointing day for me with running. My hamstring felt good when I got up. So, out the door (56° -- YES!). But, after a mile or so, the tightness was back. I ended up running 5.25 miles. This is the strangest thing. It doesn't hurt when walking. It hurts more going uphill than down or on flats. It actually hurts most as my leg straightens just before heel strike. And, the pain is in the upper hamstring. It makes me wonder if I have a tight piriformis muscle that is causing my hamstring (specifically, the semimembranosus muscle). Back to the ice and NSAID's and rest. :(

Run well, y'all,
Bob

4 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

bummer, i'm not meant to run fast either. Hope that the RICE and meds help. hang in there, and wishing your a speedy recovery.

Mark said...

Hope your hammy heals soon, Brother. I think you are fast!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't even think about running that fast but, I like reading about fast runners! Have you ever read Sub 4:00 (Alan Webb Story)?

Michelle said...

I am sorry about your hammy!!!

Rest well buddy! I know the feeling believe me!!!

And I love the Bannister Burst!!!

WOO!!