28 September 2008

Dragging Across the Finish at Maymont X-Terra


Well, I finished the Maymont (Richmond) X-Terra Half Marathon though it would be more accurate, perhaps, to say that it finished me. I didn't have an awful time at all but I really struggled after mile 7. I finished in 2:01:25 (14th in Men 50-54, 215th overall). The time was disappointing because I had run this same race last year in 1:49:xx and had run another half marathon 5 weeks ago in 1:53:xx.

I'm not sure what happened. I had drunk about 22 ounces of water within about 2 hours prior to the race and drank about 30-36 ounces of Gatorade/Powerade/water during the race. Maybe I wasn't hydrated enough because after I finished I drank another 24 ounces of Powerade and 24 ounces of water. The humidity was high -- 98% -- so, even though the temperature was around 68°, I was sweating buckets-full.

I had a whole wheat bagel and banana about an hour before the race, one Shot Blok about 15 minutes before, and a Gu-like gel at mile 7. So, I think I had enough carbs/electrolytes.

I had run 14.4 miles last Saturday (at 8:07 mpm) but cut back on mileage last week and felt fresh and ready to go at the beginning of the race.

At any rate, I just ran out of gas after mile 7 and walked a lot during the last half.

Anyway, I'm disappointed but also know that those days just happen somtimes. But, if anyone has a suggestion(s) for me, I'm all ears.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't underestimate the impact of humidity...I have learned the hard way! Sounds to me like it was just one of those days...Congrats on pushing through and finishing.