11 January 2010

Clawing My Way Back

One of my reoccurring dreams has to do with running. I wish it was about running with some of the great East African runners and feeling good. But, it's usually an exhausting dream where I'm trying to run up a long, steep hill that's usually deep sand. Instead of running, I'm barely moving forward, digging my hands into the sand and pulling myself uphill.

Well, I think that's how my running is going to feel for the next couple of months. Due to a variety of reasons (travel, an odd injury, boredom with my routes, a cold), I've only run 6 times since 21 November with this morning's run being the first in 3 weeks. I'm not completely starting over but at 55 years old, I think I lose fitness more quickly than ever and it will take me longer to get it back. But, I'm committed to getting it back.

My goals:
• Get back to 100+ miles per month
• Run a half marathon in Nairobi in October
• Lose 20 pounds

There I've said it -- here goes. This morning's run was only 2.94 miles at a pace of 9:42 mpm -- SSD (short, slow distance). I'll bump up my mileage slowly and see what happens.

Have you ever come back from a running slump? Any advice?

BTW, if you want to listen to a running podcast by a regular guy, check out Ashland (VA) Dave's Running in the Center of the Universe

Run well, y'all,
Bob

5 comments:

Christina said...

Not as much of a slump but I've had to take a couple months off from an injury. Take it easy on the way back adding in mileage slowly. I try and follow the 10% rule except for when coming from 0. You could add cross training to help improve your conditioning without actually running.

Bob A said...

Thanks, Christina. The 10% rule was what I had in mind, so I appreciate the confirmation. I've missed the running and really want to get back up to speed.

Anonymous said...

The 10 percent rule is generally good. That being said, you will not want to force yourself to get back to 100 miles a month too quickly. Cross training will help with your fitness, although I have found that nothing can replace running!

Anonymous said...

I'm coming back slowly myself--or trying to make myself come back slowly--from some nagging pain that showed up before my half in November. I think it's finally beginning to dawn on me that it might take some real rest--not just some "look at that low mileage, I only ran 25 miles this week" stuff. Here's to both of us getting our health up and our pounds down (mine went up as soon as my training slowed down).

Bob A said...

I've really cut back on my miles. Well, truth be told, it wasn't as much a conscious decision as a necessity. Saturday, I only ran 2.1 miles -- I can't remember the last time I ran that short. And, it looks like my mileage today will be a fat "0".