27 August 2009

Wright Socks: Running II -- First Run


A few weeks ago, Wright Socks gave away 2 pair of socks to everyone who posted about running socks in the Runner's Lounge. I posted and my socks came in on Monday. I eagerly opened the package -- I have used Wright socks before and really like them. First thing, though, I was disappointed that they sent the size based on my running shoe size and NOT the size I specifically told them I wear. Wright Socks is the only brand that I've seen that recommends an XL for men's size 12 shoes -- I always buy L. Well, OK, I thought, I'll give them a try. Maybe I've been using the wrong size.

Tuesday morning, I pulled them on and they felt great except ... they were too big. If I pulled them snug, the heel portion was over my Achilles tendon. If I put the elasticized band over my arch, even at the back of the arch, there was too much sock under my foot. I decided to hit a happy medium between the two positions and give them a try, heading out for a 6 miler.

I like the feel of the socks. They have a bit of cushioning and they are 2-layer. However, it wasn't long before I realized that my feet were sliding around in the sock because of the XL size. By the end of the run, I had hot spots on my feet -- no blisters but not perfect comfort.

To be fair, I have always found that Wright Socks work best for me starting with the second run -- not the first. So, they are washed and waiting for me to use them again. I won't try them on my long run but for my next 5-6 miler, probably on Saturday.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

No comments: