15 August 2009

Senior Discounts -- Senior Running

It's been a while since I last posted -- I've been running, just not posting. Life has interfered.

A couple of weeks ago, I was running with a group training for a half marathon. We had a 14-miler scheduled (SIDE-NOTE: I don't think God designed me for summer running!) and I ended up by myself at about mile 11.5. One of our group was not running that day but was hitting various spots on the route encouraging folks. At mile 11.5, he was jogging the course in reverse and passed me. He asked how I felt -- my response, Like I'm 55 (which I am).

Actually, I've felt 55 on most of my runs over the last couple of months. I don't know what gives but almost every run is a struggle even though I'm running slower than ever. Some days it's like I'm starting all over again.

In some places, being 55 years old makes me eligible for Senior discounts. Now, that bothers some people, but not me. If someone wants to give me a discount for being 55 or for being mostly bald or for being left-handed or for having big feet, that's all right with me. I figure a discount is a discount.

That being said, in the 3 months since I turned 55, I've never actually been in a place to get a Senior Discount until today. My wife, our daughter, and I went to see Julie & Julia (maybe I'll blog about that some other time) and I saw that they offered a $1 Senior Discount for those over 55. Voila! So I asked for 2 adult and 1 senior ticket. Well, that didn't compute with the cashier (my wife understood why, I don't but that may be because I'm a Senior) and she gave me 2 Senior tickets. I was signing the credit card receipt and knew the price was less than I expected but I wasn't really paying attention (another senior moment) but my wife was (she's not a Senior). So, we pointed out that we wanted 3 tickets, not 2 and she sold us another one -- a Student Ticket rather than a full adult (the cashier was definitely NOT a Senior, so either Senior Momentitis is contagious or I was suffering from something else). By that time, there was a line behind us so we just took the tickets and went in to watch the movie.

My first time to use a Senior Discount and things get messed up! Go figure?!

Run well, y'all,
Bob

1 comment:

Mark said...

Been wondering about you! I'm only one year behind! Glad to hear you've still been running.