19 September 2009

Urban Trail Running

No, I haven't found any real trails in Nairobi, but while I was running this morning, it struck me how much running on Nairobi streets is like trail running. I get a lot of trail-like training here dodging potholes, uneven surfaces, loose rocks (not always gravel or stone-sized), jumping ditches. It's probably pretty good for the muscles that control stability in my ankles, knees, and hips. One stretch of road is so bad that I can run it faster than cars can be sensibly driven on it.

I'm slowly getting acclimated to the altitude and the hills.

This morning: 5.2 miles at a pace of 8:46 mpm.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

3 comments:

Mark said...

Bob, keep running! I wonder what it's like over there? I hear good things from missionaries to Africa.
Hope things are going well.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

take good care of yourself. :) glad you're still running!

Bob A said...

It's hard to describe Nairobi, Mark. Some 4 million people living in a city with infrastructure for maybe 1 million. There's a mixture of openness and apathetic in terms of acceptance of the gospel but most people are willing to listen.

Thanks, Mel. I'm glad to be running, too, though this month will be my lowest total mileage for a month in several years.