27 September 2010

Up in the Air...

Well, this morning, I had hoped to run on the US Air Force Academy compound a ways -- past the airfield and then back. Headed out and then realized that those plans meant running through the security gate. Rats! Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, so I crossed to the median toward the MP's and stopped and asked one of them if I could run the road. Very politely he informed me that one had to have military ID to get in before 8AM when visiting hours started. "All right ... no problem ... thank you, sir" and I headed back the other way.

I was disappointed but not surprised. While I knew I was not a national security threat, there are probably all kinds of scenarios where a lone runner on a military base in the early, pre-dawn hours is a really bad idea.

Still, I had a great, though hard, run this morning. My pace for the 4 miles was almost exactly 9:00 mpm -- 9:00.76, to be exact. That's certainly my fastest run at altitude (I'm currently at 6448') in a very long time.

I hope you have a great run today or whenever you next run.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

3 comments:

Paul Merrill said...

Welcome to Colorado! Hope you have a great visit.

marriage save tips said...

Hat's off to you if you really are 56 and can run 4 miles. I being 23 can barely trudge through one!

Bob A said...

Thanks, Paul, I'm enjoying it so far. Went up Pike's Peak on Wednesday. We had a Texan driving the car and had to stop at the brake check spot to let the brakes cool. LOL!

Oh, I really am 56 -- 57 in May! I actually got my first "senior" discount a little over a year ago at a movie theater. I ran 4.5 miles this morning in Colorado Springs -- climbed 300 feet over 1.5 miles. The top of the hill and the ensuing downhill was a very welcome sight!!!

Marriage Save Tips: When I started (again) seriously running 7+ years ago, my wife and I started by walking about 3 miles most afternoons. After a few weeks, we would add in short jogs throughout the walk. After 4 months, I was able to mostly run 5 miles. I share that to simply say, take it slow and easy and you'll soon be able to do more than "trudge" one mile -- you'll run better than "trudge" and you'll increase the distance. I have to say, though, that for me, the first mile of any run is always hard, both mentally and physically.