09 September 2010

How to Run Really Fast

According to this page, Run Faster -- How to Run Faster, I could run a 0:59.0 half marathon if I weighed 54#. Hmmmm. Maybe I need to give up my dream of beating Ryan Hall. Whadda' ya' think?

Well, OK, I guess I haven't fulfilled the promise of the post title. I think the secrets to running really fast are: genetics, hard work, tough mental state, and did I say hard work? I think I'll set more realistic goals, like getting to an appropriate BMI weight and running 10KM without feeling totally exhausted.

This morning's run was awful -- only 2 things good about it -- the temperature was 53° and I actually ran. Otherwise, 4.36 miles at an abysmal pace of 9:55 mpm. It didn't feel that hard but the numbers don't seem to be lying. Oh well, a day with a bad run is better than a day without running. (That is true, isn't it?)

Run well, y'all,
Bob

2 comments:

zbsports said...

I guess this is what I'm looking for, I want to improve my run. I will keep this tips on mind. Thanks!

Bob A said...

The key to running faster is to run faster. It's really easy to get locked into a single, plodding pace day in and day out. To make progress, one needs to add in at least one faster-paced workout per week. What's worked for me in the past is to do an extended (3-5 miles) tempo run in one week; track repeats, either 800M or 1600M or a ladder workout, in the second week; an extended tempo run in the third week; an easy week with no speed sessions in the fourth week. Then repeat.