21 November 2009

Key Factors in My Running

I took off this morning intending to do 5.5+ miles. For some reason, I just couldn't do it and ended up cutting it short a bit. Lately, more often than not, my runs have just been hard. I think I have to face the facts.

OK, yes, I'm running at altitude (5500'+) and every run is hilly (there's just no flat run here). But, I'm also running more slowly than I did at sea level -- 8:00-8:30 at sea level, 8:30-9:05 at altitude -- so I shouldn't feel completely wiped out. Also, I'm bored with my routes -- without driving somewhere else in town (which I'm loathe to do), my options are limited. I'm used to the 300+ routes/variations I had access to in Richmond.

But, I think there are two factors that are probably more important than those -- weight and base mileage. Basically, I'm 12 pounds +/- heavier than when I was running my best. So, I just need to get rid of it. Secondly, and maybe even more importantly, my mileage has slipped. Rather than running 30-35 miles per week (or even more when getting ready for a race), I'm running 15-20 miles per week. That means a 5 mile run is 25-33% of my weekly mileage now but was only 14-17% 6-12 months ago.

So, I think I have some work to do.

Run well, y'all,
Bob

6 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

take care, it'll all come together for you :)

Mark said...

I'm with you, Bob! The weight is so hard to keep off!?

Bob A said...

Thanks, Mel. I hope it comes back together. There was a period, about March 2007-March 2008, when I really enjoyed my running, looked forward to long runs, and didn't feel nearly so wiped out by them. The last year+, though, I still like running and really miss it when I can't/don't run but more often than not, it's just hard. So, I want the good times to return! :) They will, I just want them here now!

Yeah, Mark, it is hard and it's somewhat discouraging since I generally eat well and am running. Age is catching up to me, I think.

Thanks for stopping by.

Christina said...

What if you run your routes backwards? Surprisingly I find my running my routes backwards very different than my usual direction.

Sara Grace said...

Hi, i just found your blog through Running Down Dreams. I've been wondering if losing 10 pounds or so wouldn't be the easiest way to get faster. I'm absurdly slow and although I've been getting faster, I think my body would be more interested in picking it up with just a few less pounds.

Bob A said...

Sara -- thanks for stopping by and posting. Losing weight is a great way to get faster. I'm not absolutely sure of the figures, but I think the experts say you can anticipate a 3-5% increase in speed for every 5# lost. It makes sense, especially when I think about what would happen if I carried a 10# backpack when I ran. Good luck on losing the weight.