01 May 2008

Soreness (T.I.A.R.T.)


The Runners' Lounge sponsors a Take It and Run Thursday each week. Today's topic is not really a topic. Runners are submitting questions for the community to answer. Great idea and probably a thread that could keep us going for a long time. So, let me toss out mine -- similar to Tom's, maybe.

Why, after almost 5 solid years of running, do my legs still get so sore when I run 8 or more miles? Specifically, I think it's my hip adductors that get so sore. I've worked up to a run of 10-14 miles and have just hit that in the last 6-8 months. I don't run that long every week but only 2 out of 3 weeks or so. But those muscles still get really sore. Do I need to do some specific hip adductor strengthening exercises? Or, is it just normal to be sore after that many miles?

Run well, y'all,
Bob

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also can get sore hip flexors and abductors -especially on long runs (over 20 miles). I suspect that as I begin to tire I compensate by working those muscles harder.

Are you doing any core exercises? I found that working on my core made me a stronger runner overall and helped with the sore hips. Best of luck!

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

I echo Heather's response. I find if I am religious about stretching and strengthening the hip area - I am fine. If not - I am in bed.

Bob A said...

You have confirmed what I suspected. I know I need to do core workouts -- time is an issue but that's an excuse.

Anonymous said...

I went to see a sports' therapist for knee pain - it was my hips. He said, that hips are a problematic for most runners. He said I have to religiously stretch post run.

Anecdotally, I take cold fish oil (2 tablets post long run) and glutamine... all of which seem to keep less sore.

Stuart said...

Looks like it's been said already but look at the core and try and get some strectching on your TFL that'll help your adds and abds

Nitmos said...

I also am a big believer in core strength. Incidentally, Chi Running suggests that muscle soreness is related to a misaligned or tight running form. Not sure I buy this completely but it may be worth investigating your form.

Lily on the Road said...

definitely core work is key...when I first started running, the hip I had fractured years ago bothered me terribly...

hip flexor stretches, core work and the odd advil work wonders....

good luck!!

Bill Carter said...

Hi Bob

I would agree that the core is definitely a factor, but I think there will always be a certain level of soreness when we run. Whether it is a lactic acid buildup or just microtearing of the muscles, I think being sore it almost impossible to avoid. I guess as runners we just cope the best we can and revel in the fact that there are endorphins to make it hurt just a little less.

Best of luck with your running, Bob