26 May 2008

Decadent Indulgence


(or, How to Kill Yourself in 1 Quart)

Weighty Matters is a good, general health blog written by a Canadian physician, Yoni Freedhoff, who wants to ferret out the truth about weight and health. He's a good blogger -- entertaining and unafraid to speak his mind about health.

In today's blog, he spotlights Baskin-Robbins' (large -- 32 oz) Heath® Shake. Check out that monster! A single serving (32 fl. oz.) contains 2310 calories, 2.5g trans fat, 1560mg sodium, and 266g sugar (Freedhoff says that's 66.5 teaspoons or 1.5 cups of sugar). Check the ingredients' list -- sugar, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup are featured multiple times.

When I read that to my wife, her comment was, "That much sugar in a milk shake would kill you!" Yeah, eventually that much sugar could well do it.

Run (and eat) well (and smart), y'all,
Bob

8 comments:

paulmerrill said...

I am not obese (I weighed about 130 at last check) - but I do love some of those unhealthy foods. (The Baskin Robbins shake does not look appealing, however.)

Marathoner in Training said...

I will say that it does look tasty. I will stay away from it. It is more than my daily caloric intake.

Anonymous said...

This may come across as a little too authoritarian but I am becoming more sure of the opinion that companies who sell food like these need to provide a disclaimer. I like the occasional junk fest but a combination of these should carry a warning of some sort! :)

Andrew is getting fit said...

Man, I look at that and I want it! But since I started looking at the calorie counts of foods I can't eat stuff like that.

Michelle said...

That doesn't even tempt me in the least! Give me a fruit smoothie or a piece of real fruit! If i'm going to indulge, i'd go for sushi!!!
Michelle

Lily on the Road said...

Nope, that doesn't even get my taste buds flowing. I'm with Michelle, fruit or fruit juice is good, however, I will indulge with Tostito's and salsa....like last night! hahahaha

Megan Hall said...

Man those Heath bar people indulged in some smart naming. Every time I see it, I think it says "Health." And this one was no exception. I thought "Wow, BR has a Health Shake. Hmmm..." and then I read on and it contains more calories than an entire elephant and I think "how do they get to call that healthy" and then it contains an entire sugar cane field worth of sugar and I'm still thinking "how is that healthy?" and then I read more carefully and realize I've been duped. Again.

Bob A said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, y'all.

I had the same reaction as Megan: "Wow! A 'health' shake!" I couldn't believe that Baskin-Robbins would have something really healthy but, whatever.... Then I read the contents and had to reread the actual name.

I like ice cream and milk shakes but I don't believe I could stomach this thing.

Running and losing weight have made me look at foods from a different perspective. Now I ask myself, "How many **extra** miles to get rid of that xxxx?" This Heath Shake (I even typed "Health") would take 19-20 extra miles and it's certainly not worth that.