03 April 2008

Hydration [T.I.A.R.T.]

Today is another http://www2.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifTake It And Run Thursday at Runners' Lounge. The subject is hydration. I wasn't going to write anything until I read Lance Breger's lance: the blog! post for 29 March, Don't Be That Guy. While the post is pretty humourous, it was his comment about hydration being unique for each individual at the end and his link to a hydration calculator that caught my attention. It looked like a worthy addition to today's T.I.A.R.T.

I'm no expert on hydration and have some questions about the accuracy of the amount of water the calculator gives. However, I do think it points out some really good things to remember when determining how much one needs to drink in a given day.

I run in the early morning (run at 5:30 or so; wake up around 6:30). So, I get up, stumble down the steps, get rid of the previous evening's accumulated hydration, drink about 10 oz of refrigerated water, and head out the door for roughly an hour of running. I work on replacing lost fluids through the morning. For the last 2-3 weeks, I've added 2-3 pieces of fruit to my normal breakfast of a whole wheat bagel and neufchatel cheese and the fruit seems to really help with rehydration.

Another thing I've discovered is that a lack of decent hydration on one day really messes up my run the next morning. Looking forward to reading the other posts today.

Run well and hydrated, y'all,
Bob

5 comments:

Marathoner in Training said...

It tells me that I should consume 3.8 liters of water a day. I with I consumed that much. Maybe I should consume more. The calculation does not take into account coffee/soda.

Lily on the Road said...

Lots of water as well as juices, soups and the odd glass of red wine work well for me!

Fruit and berries can be considered juice too!

The Laminator said...

I think you hit the nail on the head with your last statement. Nothing tells me more how I'm gonna run today than yesterday's water consumption.

Anonymous said...

Bob, thanks for the post. While we all seem to know a lot about hydration, it still remains a puzzle to get it right.

Keep up the great work!

Nancy said...

I seem to keep learning this one over and over.