03 April 2008

A Few of My "Friends"

I'll be running with (well, OK, behind -- WAY behind!) some prestigious company on Saturday. The Ukrop's Monument Ave 10K is also the US 10K Men's Championship. The defending champion, Abdi Abdirahman, will be here along with Alan Culpepper, Dan Browne, Fernando Cabada and a number of other contenders. Weather predictions are warm and wet (thunderstorms). The course record for the Richmond run is 28:07 -- that could fall. Abdi won the 2007 championship at the Peachtree Road Race last year in 28:12. The US Championship record is 27:59, set by Matt Giusto in 1996. The world record is 26:17.53 set in 2005 by Kenenisa Bekele of Ethiopia.

With the wave start, I'll be close to completing mile 2 when the Elites cross the finish line! Gives me something to shoot for!

Run well, y'all,
Bob

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Saturday....You will do great....look forward to your race report.

Nancy said...

oh wow. That sounds cool. Hope you catch some glimpses.

Michelle said...

Bob, good luck dude! Blog about your random thoughts along the way!! :O)
Michelle

Bill Carter said...

Hi Bob

Hope you have a great race... and I am really jealous to have that kind of talent around and not be there.

Can you honestly imagine moving that fast?? Very cool.

Bob A said...

Nancy -- I was able to watch the elite start before my wave had to assemble. Then, Abdi and Browne passed us going the opposite way at our mile 1 (their mile 5).

Michelle -- my random thoughts centered around, "Why does this feel so hard today?"

Bill -- imagining going that fast is all I can do. Abdi didn't have an especially great time but was still clipping along at a pace of 4:40 mpm or so. Sheesh!